My textile projects

Here are some of the things I have made!

The heraldic dress I made for Pennsic. 4 ladies from Drachenwald made heraldic dresses for opening ceremonies at Pennsic XL. I choose to make mine as am early 15:th century sideless surcote with the Drachenwald arms on half of the skirt and my own on the other half. I took the charges from both arms and multiplied them so that the skirt is covered in aplique. The dress is of wool, lined with silk and all aplique is done by hand. Photo by Countess Cecilia.
My german silk damask/silk velvet dress. I made it for Double Wars 2011 not knowing it would be my elevation dress. The shirt has an silk embroidered collar, the underskirt is linen with a bottom stripe of a green silk damask and the dress itself is silk damaks and 100% silk velvet, lined with silk and with hand made hooks and eyes. The stuchlein veil is made of a thin wool with a metal thread band in the front and at the end of the veil. Photo by Duchess Cecilia.
The elevation silk dress from behind. Photo by Edricus.
This dress was my second landsknecht and it was made about 2001. Photo from Estrella War.
A dress I have been working on forever… The slashing in one panel takes 18 hours to stitch down…
Me in my blue dress at Pennsic. Theese days I will not make a seperate jacket and skirt.
My vinking dress.
Not the happiest face – but I am happy about the dress. 🙂
My pink and black German dress. The documentation of the dress is avaliable on this website.

My viking coat – an interpretaion of the Birka coat.
Close up of the embroidery on the back of my viking coat. It is made with split stitch and the yarns are hand spun and naturally dyed (but not by me).

9 thoughts on “My textile projects

  1. Libby

    Hello there,
    I’ve really enjoyed looking over your site. I will be attending Visby next year and have been toying with the idea of making a Birka style coat. I can’t tell from the pictures, but is there a gore on the back seam of yours? Any advice would be appreciated 🙂

    1. Hello! My Birka coat doesn’t have a back seam at all. I have a back piece, two front pieces and two side gores that go all the way up to the armpit and the top part is constructed so that it works as the gusset you usually put in the armpit.
      My construction is as it is since I had a bit to little fabric and did what I could with what I had. I am however planing a new coat according to the pattern in Nille Glæsels book Viking clothing. You can also look at my friend Mervis blog – she has made a coat according to the Nille Glæsel pattern with a beautiful result! Take a look here: http://hibernaatio.blogspot.com/2011/02/vihdoinkin-punainen-takki-finally-red.html
      She writes in both Finnish and English!
      Good luck with your project!

  2. Libby

    Thank you! I can’t tell, but is your coat close fitting like the one in the Glaesels book? I would prefer mine to be a bit roomier.

    1. Mine is roomy but close fitted… heh… 🙂 It does give a more straight look in the back but by closing it with a threefoile broche it looks fitted in the front… I bet you can make the Glæsel coat a bit bigger to give a roomy feeling though. Or just straighten it a bit in the seams to not have a completely snug fit!

  3. Libby

    That’s what I was thinking when I was reading your friends website. Oh…so many decisions! But maybe that’s part of the fun. Maybe 🙂
    I’ve heard tales of how cold it can be at Visby and most of my camp garb is made for Pennsic. I need to work on some layers 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s